Saturday, August 4, 2012

Joel Salatin - Pastured Poultry Pen - (I did it!)


The chicks are now 2 weeks old and are no longer the cute fluffy birds they once were.  So we had 2 more die and we are at 99.  We have used 150 pounds of feed, 8 bags of pine shavings, and 60 gallons of water.  My wife refused hold my hand the other day because I stuck my hand to the very bottom of the pine shavings to see if they were composting.  They indeed were!  Very warm and had a sweet smell!!!  :)

THESE BIRDS GOT TO GET OUT TO THE PASTURE!!!  So its time to build the Joel Salatin Pasture Pen.







The whole family came out to help begin cutting and ripping boards. 




Almost done!  I hope to get the birds moved to the pasture as soon as I get done.  The pen is used to move the birds to fresh grass everyday.  Each day you move the pen one length to allow the birds to forage, scratch and eat critters.





2 comments:

  1. Looks great ya'll! And ya'll look so cute doing it- keep up the good work! I bet those chickens fried will be the best you've ever tasted!

    ReplyDelete